Monday, January 18, 2010

Chillaxin' on the Coast

This weekend I went to visit Angie in Busan again. In the subway station we heard a ruckus coming from down the corridor so we turned around to investigate. What we heard was a crowd of people gathered around a group of men doing a traditional song and dance. Check it out:
We headed down to Nampo-dong again because Angie had ordered a pair of boots in one of the underground subway shops so we did a bit of shopping while we were there. We had shabu shabu for dinner (thinly sliced beef cooked in boiling broth with veggies and noodles), and hit the hay at 10pm (both of us were running on 3 hours of sleep from the night before).
Due to our exhaustion and lack of sleep on Friday, we both slept until 1pm Sunday afternoon. She slept the entire time. I had trouble falling asleep, despite how tired I was, so I only slept for about 11 hours...which was nothing compared to Angie's 15 hours. We headed to E-Mart for groceries and saw the cutest little puppies I've ever seen. Somehow the Koreans have miniaturized breeds of dogs that are quite large back home (Australian shepherds, collies, etc.) and the puppies were tiny. I seriously considered getting a dog to keep me company and help me ward off the homesickness I've been feeling lately, but Angie informed me that apparently we're not allowed to have dogs or cats in our apartments. Oh well. It's probably best anyway since I would have to give the dog to Angie when I leave.
Sunday afternoon we went to the Haeundae Beach Aquarium. It was really quite relaxing just to watch all the exotic sea creatures floating around. Everything under the water seems to move in slow motion. The jellyfish don't have an agenda...they just glide around in aimless circles in their tank. It was a nice change of pace from being outside in the city where everything is bustling and busy. My favorite sea creature by far was the weedy sea dragon. So beautiful!
After the aquarium it was galbi for dinner, and then I was homeward bound. This time I made it home without incident. No missed trains, no snow, and no almost being late for school. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

  1. first of all i love australian shepherds
    and now want a miniature one

    secondly that aquarium picture is beautiful

    i cannot wait to talk to you again

    love always

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the weedy sea dragon seems fake! That is so cool, and I totally agree...beautiful. When we went to the aguarium in Baltimore last year, the variety of frogs were amazing..tomato frogs that were red and these beautiful (poisonous) almost flourescent yellow, green and blue frogs...anyway, the sea dragon reminded me of my experience there.
    xoxo Auntie "L"

    ReplyDelete